Monday, October 02, 2006

CRPS and tendonitis - something to ponder

I've been diagnosed with
  • shoulder tendonitis (both shoulders at different times) - inflammation in a tendon
  • plantar fasciitis (both feet) - inflammation of tissue
  • bursitis - inflammation in a bursa
  • tennis elbow - inflammation of tissue
  • morton's neuroma - involves inflammation of a nerve
At first glance it appears that I have a great deal of inflammation but I question this.
  • Bursitis pain was "cured" by mirror therapy.(Thanks Nigel. You're a legend.)
  • Morton's Neuroma pain was "cured" by mirror therapy.
  • Tennis elbow pain was "cured" by laser acupuncture.(Thanks Dr Liz. Another legend)
  • Shoulder tendonitis was relieved using mirrors. (continuing therapy)
  • Plantar fasciitis was relieved by orthotics. (Thanks Heather. You know your business.)
My theory is that something happens to irritate a nerve in the area of pain and that the brain translates that irritation as pain. However in sufferers of CRPS, pain is ongoing after an initiating event. Therefore I think that while there is ongoing pain, there is not necessarily an ongoing irritation. I think the acupuncture and mirrors stop the brain's pain message. It appears in my case that although the pain has now gone there are still mechanical issues which are being addressed. That mirror exercises work absolutely amazes me. By looking at the mirror image of my painless leg doing exercises which would be painful for the other leg, my brain gets the "it's ok" message and miraculously the pain stops. I 've also noticed that the leg relaxes and spasms also stop.

So, did I have all those conditions? After talking again with my physiotherapist I now realize that I did and still do but the pain of most is gone. The exercises and other treatment helped the conditions but didn't take the pain away and some of it just ramped up the pain. The problem was the brain wouldn't let go of the message. Mirrors and lazer acupuncture allowed the brain to accept that all was ok.
I was also told I had carpel tunnel syndrome in the area of my original injury. This was not long after my accident. I didn't think I had this so searched the net for information about the suggested operation. I discovered that a nerve conduction test can confirm the diagnosis. I had the test and I did not have carpel tunnel. Knowing what I know now, I suspect that the nerve in that area was irritated, probably from swelling ( as I suspect with all the others) and the pain just persisted.

Something to ponder.




No comments:

Custom Search
Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.
http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D