Saturday, November 04, 2006

Majid Ali, Professor of Medicine, Associate Professor of Pathology and Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons England writes that some free radicals reduce the pain of complex regional pain syndrome by the action of the restoration of local oxygen homeostasis. (Homeostasis is the mechanisms that keep the cells surroundings constant even though your external environment is changing.) Yesterday I posted about vitamin C and it's use to prevent cprs in patients with wrist fracture. I think there is still much to be learnt about the role of antioxidants in improving health. According to "better health, Victorian Goverment" some studies have indicated antioxidants are less effective when not as food. I think nature provides little powerhouses in food with nutritious unique combinations. Not content to wait for scientists to conduct further research I've decided to eat more antioxidant rich foods and check what I eat now to see if I can eat smart. Dates, cranberries and red grapes are among the top fruits for antioxidants on the basis of concentration (antioxidants per serving size). So today instead of baking a tea cake with refined flour and no fruit, I've baked a date and almond tart for our visitors.

For the pastry
1 1/2 cups wholemeal plain flour
3 oz canola spread
1 egg (free range by choice)

For the filling
3oz canola spread
3 oz caster sugar
1 egg beaten
i cup ground almonds
2 tbsp wholemeal plain flour
1 tbsp water
dates
jam for glaze (optional)

1 Preheat oven to 190 degrees. Place a baking tray in the oven to get hot. Sift flour and add spread. Work with fingers till crumbly. Add egg and water and mix to soft dough.

2. Roll on floured surface. Line tart tin. (20cm). Prick the base.

3. To make filling cream spread and sugar. Add egg. Stir in almonds and flour and water and mix well.

4 Spread mixture evenly over base. Arrange dates. Bake on the hot baking tray for 10 - 15 minutes and then turn the temperature down to 170 degrees for a further 15 - 20 minutes.
Glaze if you wish.

2 comments:

tony again said...

You ARE a busy girl and you are still getting to the core of things.
Keep it up.
Hope you dont mind me copying the LINK to my site.
Am sure you dont as we are both on here to help RSD Sufferers.

Love You lots
Tony

jeisea said...

Hi again Tony. I'm delighted that you want to link my blog to your wonderful site. I'm hoping to get help this week to put links on here and would like to link your site. Hope that's ok. Keep in touch. If you think of something you'd like me to persue let me know.
jeisea

Custom Search
Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.
http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D