Friday, December 01, 2006

Prevention is better than cure in most things but especially in the case of complex regional pain syndrome.

In my last post I was looking at possible predictors for development of crps. My principal reason for doing this is to assess if my children could be at risk. In my opinion there is enough to suggest that they could possibly be at risk. Now I am determined to look at ways of minimizing any possible risk.
Zollinger PE, Tuinebreijer WE, Kreis R, Breederveld RS. Effect of vitamin C on frequency of reflex sympathetic dystrophy in wrist fractures: A randomized trial. Lancet 1999;354:2025-8. found that taking Vitamin C after surgery produced a significant reduction in pain in CRPS after surgical correction of Colles' fracture.

2 comments:

ilan said...

hi
i was pointed to your site by linda bradbury, for what is worth i spent a mn idilic couple of weeks camping near hastings point and exploring the mt warning area in 2000 with the family, its where i goto when things get grim in clinic! anyway i wanted to draw your attention to mirror visualisation therapy, have your tried it? its certainly not snake oil, check out mirrorboxtherapy.com and if you want a box let me know

jeisea said...

Hi Ilan. Yes, there's something mentally and physically healing about this area. Might be mad but suspect magnet fields could have something to do with it. Most easterly point etc. The aboriginies consider Mt Warning one of the most important sacred sites, more so that Uluru, I believe. There were huge ceremonies in the caldera, a meeting place at the base of the mountain. Mirror box work is noigroup stuff from David Butler and Dr Lorimer Moseley. See links at the side of my blog. Their research has been mainly on hands and feet. I got an email from David Butler who said that they now can stop the pain of single sided mastectomy using mirrors. Like other phantom limb pain it works. I use a mirror for any flare ups single sided and it really does work. I didn't know about the visualisation and work up when I started but it works anyway. I believe research so far is just the tip of the iceberg. Think about it. The brain drives everything. (via glands nerves etc) This is a whole new way of thinking. Instead of treating symptons, treat the cause. I wish I was a medical person, I'd run with this. I got a reply from one of the researchers in America who's developed protocols for surgery to prevent development of crps. If you read my last post about vitamin C he says there is further study which I'mm going to try and find. Dr Reubin says the new study suggests 1 gram of vitamin C. He said that now is part of their protocols. Ask Linda for my email and I'll forward his info. He said they have just published a prospective study. I'll try and find that. Thanks for your comment. I have other stuff which I won't post on my blog but I'm happy to share.
jeisea

Custom Search
Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.
http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D