Section 4 in "Explain Pain" by David Butler and Lorimer Moseley, discusses "smudging the neurotag".
Persistent or chronic pain leads to changes in the brain. Our brain changes all the time and is dependent upon input for information. We become more sensitive to pain and the area of pain in the brain "the virtual body" becomes "smudged" or less clearly defined. This means that instead of pain being confined to an area, eg the shoulder, the pain spreads beyound the original site.
Mirror therapy helps the brain to clear this smudge so that the brain can better define the origional pain site. This explains why when my left shoulder flares up the pain very quickly travels up and down until the whole left side is involved. This also explains why when I do mirror therapy the pain gradually recedes back to the shoulder which is the origional site of pain.
The more I use the mirror, the less pain and symptoms until finally the flare up is resolved.
Mirrors really do work!
Please note that on going physical therapy is still essential to regain strength and tone to prevent further injury and flare ups. Alway seek the advice of your treating professional. What is written here is what works for me.
crps/rsd related articles
- Nursing Patients with CRPS/RSD
- Vitamin c and CRPS 2010
- Cleveland Clinic link - twin research
- Complex Regionaal Pain Syndrome and identical twins.
- Familial occurance of CRPS.
- Headache a risk factor for CRPS.
- Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and CRPS
- Brain change in chronic CRPS -Neuron
- Vitamin c as preventative for CRPS - Netherlands study 2007
- Vitamin C and CRPS study ARC Bristol
- BestBETs Best Evidence Topics - Hydrotherapy for Comples Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) of the foot and ankle
- Neurotopian - Matthias Weinberger's fantastic blog.
- hope-4crpsrsd - a Christian support group
- podcast - Australian Native Fruits bear sweet antioxidants.
- Explain Pain - David Butler's blog
- CRPS/RSD and Dentistry
- HTCwP - brain control of movement is altered in CRPS - study
- HTCwP - Self Compassion or Self Esteem
- Neuromatrix Training Blog
- Neurodynamics - Physical and Neural Health Blog
- Explain Pain Blog
- JB & JS report - Can Vitamin C Prevent Complex Regional Pain Syndrome in Patients with Wrist Fractures?
- Matthais Weinberger's interview on "how to Cope with Pain" website.
- How to Cope with Pain - Ketamine Coma treatment for CRPS/RSD
- RSDHope - DVD set of three
- North Western University Feinburg School of Medicine "Old Memory Traces May trigger chronic pain."
- HOw to Cope with pain How Pain Affects Families -Tony's story.
- Prevention.com article -"Natural-Born Pain Killers"
- Brain control altered in movement with CRPS -How to Cope With Pain
- How to Cope With Pain - Asking for help.
- Hooshmand and Physical Therapy Part I
- Hooshmand and Physical Therapy Part II
- How to Cope with Pain on Recognize - Here's a way to get ready to move - with less pain.
- American Pain Foundation Booklet: Treatment Options - A Guide for People Living in Pain
- Preventing CRPS after surgery - International Research Foundation for RSD/CRPS
- How to Cope with Pain - great questions about Graded motor movements
- How to Cope with Pain - Recognize podcast
- How to Cope with Pain - Graded motor imagary
- How to Cope with Pain - Think & move & your pain will improve.
- How to Cope with Pain - CRPS - Can mirrors help?
- RSD Canada Online Survey Questionnaire
- For Grace web site
- For Grace Utube site
- How to Cope With Pain - Can mirrors help?
- Noi Group Australia
- Support groups help you cope with pain - HTCWP interview by National Pain Foundation
- How to Cope with Pain Mindfulness video from Utube.
- "How to Cope with Pain's" hilarious video.
- Jason's RSDS/CRPS News & Information blog
- BBC UK News - Vitamin C /crps study - "Mystery pain left me in a wheelchair"
- Dr Moseley's interview on How to Cope with Pain site.
- Virtual Reality as a Rehabilitative Technology for Phantom Limb Experience.
- UK mirror box therapy site.
- Ramachandran's mirror box video
- My interview on "How to Cope with Pain" website.
- Napp Pharmaceuticals donate mirror boxes - WebWire article
- How to Cope with Pain: A guide to coping with pain.
- Hooshmand and Physical Therapy Part II
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D