Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Sticking to the plan is paying off again to control symptoms of complex regional pain syndrome.

In recent days I've been having acute nerve firing in my head. There is always a trigger for this and my strategy so far has been to deal with the triggers so I don't get the nauseating , extreme pain. In the past migraine and dental work have been the triggers for severe acute episodes. I've posted before about what I do to prevent migraine and a protocol for dental work.

You may remember I had some mild nerve firing before my recent dental check up. I didn't take precautions and had a moderate flare up. I took vitamin C for about two weeks and the firing peatered out instead of excalating.

This time I've had saw gums and pain when teeth cleaning. The pain progressed to the whole side of my face. Then the nerve firing began and quickly worsened. I couldn't think what to do at first.
Then I remembered the list. This is what I'm doing with some success.

  • I increased vitamin C in my diet and also am taking a supplement in divided doses (because vitamin C is processed quickly so dividing the dose should, I hope, give my body more chance to use it.)
  • I practise controlled breathing, breathing out twice as long as in for at least 15 minutes a day.
  • I put chilli cream on the area of pain.
  • I immerse in the salt water to activate the parasympathetic nervous system.
  • I reduced cafeine.
  • I've tried mindfulness meditation focusing on the breath (especially in bed when I can't get comfortable and certainly can't sleep for the pain.)
  • I use self hypnosis to try and lift the pain away. It works but can't sustain it for long.
  • I stay as calm as possible as any little stress or noise or vibration makes it worse.
So far I've had a few breaks from the unrelenting firing (normally every few seconds.)
Today there have been bigger gaps between firings, every 10 seconds up to a few minutes peace.

I'll stick with the plan and post of my progress. One things for sure there's no point in getting upset with this. Now, at least, with a plan, I know there is something I can do to help myself.

No comments:

Custom Search
Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.
http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D