The NOI Group has created a novel computer program to tell whether you can identify a pictured limb as left or right. The program starts with simple pictures on a manilla background and allows you to gradually progress to more difficult tasks.
I started the program last week. You may remember that I have already been doing my own version of mirror therapy with some amazing results (amazed me). It's recommended that this program precede the beginning of mirror therapy. Until now I hadn't realized that it is used to correct a right/ left confusion. I did not realize that my (rather obvious) right/left confusion could be related to chronic pain or crps.
Well I did the first most basic test (coloured photos of single foot on manila background), and am almost ashamed to admit that try as I might, I cannot get 100%. When I first did the test I had very significant left sided pain. My results were 60% left and 80% right. I thought "practice makes perfect". Well, no!
I thought slower would give a better result (so I slowed the time between pictures from 5 to 25 seconds). I got a worse score. However when the left sided pain settled, the results for the left side went up to 85%.
Today I have a nasty headache on the left side which is flaring up again, slept very poorly last night and feel generally below par. Today I scored 30% left and 40% right.
I thought about it and slowed the test down to a minute. Then I placed each foot in the same position as the pictures. This time I got a good result. I'll next practice making my feet do the positions till I get faster and try the test again. As you can imagine, each time you do the test the pictures are different.
I'm thinking that by doing this with hands and feet I'm retaining the brain. I know this works when I lose proprioception. I practice while watching myself move until I can look away and make the movements. If it works that way to correct proprioception, I think it should work to fix my lefts and rights.
To hear David Butler's podcast about the program "Recognize" go to"crps/rsd related articles" to the left of this blog and click on the link.
crps/rsd related articles
- Nursing Patients with CRPS/RSD
- Vitamin c and CRPS 2010
- Cleveland Clinic link - twin research
- Complex Regionaal Pain Syndrome and identical twins.
- Familial occurance of CRPS.
- Headache a risk factor for CRPS.
- Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and CRPS
- Brain change in chronic CRPS -Neuron
- Vitamin c as preventative for CRPS - Netherlands study 2007
- Vitamin C and CRPS study ARC Bristol
- BestBETs Best Evidence Topics - Hydrotherapy for Comples Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) of the foot and ankle
- Neurotopian - Matthias Weinberger's fantastic blog.
- hope-4crpsrsd - a Christian support group
- podcast - Australian Native Fruits bear sweet antioxidants.
- Explain Pain - David Butler's blog
- CRPS/RSD and Dentistry
- HTCwP - brain control of movement is altered in CRPS - study
- HTCwP - Self Compassion or Self Esteem
- Neuromatrix Training Blog
- Neurodynamics - Physical and Neural Health Blog
- Explain Pain Blog
- JB & JS report - Can Vitamin C Prevent Complex Regional Pain Syndrome in Patients with Wrist Fractures?
- Matthais Weinberger's interview on "how to Cope with Pain" website.
- How to Cope with Pain - Ketamine Coma treatment for CRPS/RSD
- RSDHope - DVD set of three
- North Western University Feinburg School of Medicine "Old Memory Traces May trigger chronic pain."
- HOw to Cope with pain How Pain Affects Families -Tony's story.
- Prevention.com article -"Natural-Born Pain Killers"
- Brain control altered in movement with CRPS -How to Cope With Pain
- How to Cope With Pain - Asking for help.
- Hooshmand and Physical Therapy Part I
- Hooshmand and Physical Therapy Part II
- How to Cope with Pain on Recognize - Here's a way to get ready to move - with less pain.
- American Pain Foundation Booklet: Treatment Options - A Guide for People Living in Pain
- Preventing CRPS after surgery - International Research Foundation for RSD/CRPS
- How to Cope with Pain - great questions about Graded motor movements
- How to Cope with Pain - Recognize podcast
- How to Cope with Pain - Graded motor imagary
- How to Cope with Pain - Think & move & your pain will improve.
- How to Cope with Pain - CRPS - Can mirrors help?
- RSD Canada Online Survey Questionnaire
- For Grace web site
- For Grace Utube site
- How to Cope With Pain - Can mirrors help?
- Noi Group Australia
- Support groups help you cope with pain - HTCWP interview by National Pain Foundation
- How to Cope with Pain Mindfulness video from Utube.
- "How to Cope with Pain's" hilarious video.
- Jason's RSDS/CRPS News & Information blog
- BBC UK News - Vitamin C /crps study - "Mystery pain left me in a wheelchair"
- Dr Moseley's interview on How to Cope with Pain site.
- Virtual Reality as a Rehabilitative Technology for Phantom Limb Experience.
- UK mirror box therapy site.
- Ramachandran's mirror box video
- My interview on "How to Cope with Pain" website.
- Napp Pharmaceuticals donate mirror boxes - WebWire article
- How to Cope with Pain: A guide to coping with pain.
- Hooshmand and Physical Therapy Part II
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D