Monday, April 30, 2007

Mindfulness meditation helps reduce pain.

Dr Lorimer Moseley, in his "How to Cope with pain" website interview, mentioned that mindfulness meditation is being used for pain management. In 2000, at a three week pain clinic, I learned mindfulness meditation. At the time I was of the opinion that when my distractions were taken away, nauseating pain was worse. If I'd know then what I know now I would have persisted and would have benefited. In particular it would have been good to know that there was already sound research which supported the use of mindfulness for pain.

This is one type of meditation, important because you develop an acceptance and an awareness of what is happening in the present. The "How to Cope with Pain" website (link to the left of this page under crps/rsd related articles), has short breathing exercises and guided imagery sessions. These are great and also help with pain management.

No comments:

Custom Search
Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.
http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D