Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Going without a drink can make you more sensitive to pain, a study has found.

Rain on my google support group recently brought up the subject of drinking water. As mentioned in September archives to the left of this blog, water breaks the pain cycle by helping to bring back a balance between the sympathetic and the parasympathetic nervous systems and decreases dysfunction by making movement easier. Water is important for pain sufferers in another way. Going without a drink can make you more sensitive to pain, a study by Australian pain expert Dr Michael Farrell of the Howard Florey Institute in Melbourne and his team have found. They reported their findings in February's issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Other studies support this claim. Dr Fereydoon Batmanghelidji, an internationally renouned researcher and author also advocates the natural healing power of water. He mentions drinking water before food can help with reflux. My clever GP has already mentioned a connection but I'd forgotten. I'm planning to give it a go. See a link to the left under articles of interest to read more. I know that drinking a large glass of water helps me to settle whole body nerve firing. I seems to act as a distraction also and reduces pain in a similar way to easting, but with less calories.

Thanks Rain. I'd forgotten about this till I looked through my old posts.

No comments:

Custom Search
Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.
http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D