Saturday, June 23, 2007

"Eat Smart" - a balanced approach

Today in the Brisbane Courier Mail newspaper there was mention of concern and speculation of a person dying from toxic liver. The speculation and insinuation seems to be that there was liver toxicity to which one of the popular super juices may have contributed. It appears that if a person has a liver problem then care should be taken with complementary/natural medicine. Many things can put stress on the liver including some medications and some complimentary medicines.

I strongly believe that the smart and safest way to get good nutrition and in particular high antioxidant intake, is to consume a range of high antioxidant and nutritious foods, mixing colours. Organic is a great option if available to you. Washing food to help remove possible chemical residue is also wise.


Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info. Do you have any specific strategies for cleaning residue off fruits and vegetables?

jeisea said...

Yes from the information available to me it is recommended that fruits and vegetables be washed in drinkable water. This is in preference to detergent or other agents as you then have the issue of getting rid of the agent.
The Colorado State University, (googlr0 for the info) recommends these strategies
"* Buy fresh vegetables and fruits in season. When long storage and long-distance shipping are not required, fewer pesticides are used.
* trim tops and the very outer portions of celery, lettuce, cabbages and other leafy vegetables that may contain the bulk of pesticide residues.
* Peel and cook when appropriate, even though some nutrients and fiber are lost in the process.
* Eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. This would limit exposure to any one type of pesticide residue.

* Wait until just before preparation to wash or immerse your produce in clean drinking water. When appropriate, scrub with a brush. Experts at the University of California-Berkeley report that this removes nearly all insects and dirt, as well as bacteria and some pesticide residues. Special soaps or washes are not needed and could be harmful to you depending on their ingredients. Read the label!"

Personally I recommend commonsense. Wash with water, have a variety so you don't overdose on any one contaminate etc. Eat the best you can afford. Think about maybe growing your own. If you do try and source organic stock and read up on organic gardening. I have a recipe for organic insecticide if anyone is interested. We are very fortunate that growers' markets are popular here and our soil is good enough and pesticide free so can be used to grow our own.

Actually we have an very alternative community not far from here where they have developed a system where you can raise your own fish, the waste is used for plants and the water recycled so that you have a completely self sufficient system which is very water efficient and environmentally friendly. Let me know if you want to know more. Please consider joining my google group as we discuss practical ways of coping including ways of eating smart.

Custom Search
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.