Monday, June 11, 2007

Following the plan is helping relieve painful flareup.

Finally my shoulder pain is settling. Mirror therapy has been of most benefit while the twice weekly laser acupuncture really helped settle muscle spasm. Unfortunately the acupuncture benefit seems to last only 24 hours.

I've added to this an increase in vitamin C taken in food over 500mg. (See Worlds Healthiest Foods link under "articles of interest" to the left of this blog. They have a nutrition calculator and recipes. Excellent site)

I soaked in warm epson salts baths. The pressure of water activates the parasympathetic nervous system bring calm and less pain.

Then I applied chilli cream (capsaicin cream) and heat packs. Capsaicin demolishes substance p. Substance p is a neuro transmitter. Less substance p means less messages transmitted so less pain. As we keep making substance the cream needs to be reapplied.

I increased physical therapy targeted for shoulder rotator cuff tendonitis. The pain will return if I don't deal with mechanical issues such as muscle weakness so I must keep up the therapy after the pain settles.

I breathed out twice as long as in for 5 minutes five times a day. This type of breathing activates the parasympathetic nervous system bringing about a balance between sympathetic and parasympathetic. This lowers pain as it calms.

I'm practising mindfulness meditation. This involves relaxing and concentrating on your breath to the exclusion of distractions. When distracted (which is often) I just return to the breath. This is good to do when I can't sleep. The idea seems to be that you are aware of distractions and pain but you focus strongly on the breath . Research has shown that if you concentrate fully on something it is effective for dealing with pain.

There is no one thing that works alone for me. I need to really work hard to calm the pain and symptoms of complex regional apin syndrome.

No comments:

Custom Search
Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.
http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D