Thursday, June 21, 2007

Manage your pain the new way.

RSD World Health News site has a link to Prevention.com's article recent article on "Natural-Born Pain Killers". I commend this article by Richard Laliberts to you.

It examines several investigations into novel ways of dealing with pain. Stanford Systems Neuroscience Pain Lab showed that by visualization techniques and positive affirmations pain perception could be reduced by up to an amazing two thirds.
On the opposite end of this is the discovering that you can actually increase pain perception by focusing on negative aspects and fearing your pain.

This does not in any way indicate that the pain you have is psychological. MRI imaging has identified changes in the brain from changing inputs by such means as meditation and guided imagery and affirmations. Equally MRI imaging has recorded changes in the brain from negative inputs.


It is clear that I need to be aware of when I am focusing on how bad I feel and make a real effort to focus either on a part of my body that is not painful or on something else.

These finding make perfect sense to me. I know when I talk about how I'm feeling, I feel worse. When I'm having fun I feel better. Now I know I can actually change the inputs which bring about a change in the brain, I'll be more aware of how I think and feel. I'll also be dedicating more time to "actively seeking happiness".

Go to "crps/rsd related articles" to the left of this blog and click on the link. Tony will be posting it soon.

No comments:

Custom Search
Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.
http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D