The International Journal of Rehabilitation Research. 30(2):181-188, June 2007. reported a pilot study
Mirror box therapy added to cognitive behavioural therapy in three chronic complex regional pain syndrome type I patients:
Vladimir Tichelaar, Y.I.G. a; Geertzen, Jan H.B. b c; Keizer, Doeke d; Paul van Wilgen, C. b
The study found that pain at rest, pain after measuring allodynia/hyperalgesia and pain after measuring strength decreased. Range of motion improved in two patients and strength improved in one patient.
Another trial reported in Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Volume 88, Issue 5, Pages 555-559 by S. Sütbeyaz, G. Yavuzer, N. Sezer, B. Koseoglu is looking at how
Mirror Therapy Enhances Lower-Extremity Motor recovery and Motor Functioning After Stroke: A
I'm hoping to see the Netherlands study which finished in February published soon. I'm aware that there is interest in Germany and in Canada.
As mentioned in previous posts http://www.howtocopewithpain.org/ is leading awareness in the USA. In the UK mirror box therapy is widely accepted with mirror boxes in pain clinics across the country. http://www.mirrorboxtherapy.com/ has great information and leads awareness there. They provide mirror boxes. Dr Lorimer Moseley travels the world explaining the new science of pain. "Explain Pain" which he co-wrote with David Butler is a valuable tool for understanding this new approach to pain. http://www.noigroup.com/is Australia's leader in promoting this new approach to pain as well as providing resources such as mirror boxes, "Explain Pain" and the limb recognition program "Recognize".
Now research has proven with MRI results that the brain changes with chronic pain. More recently we've learnt that changing the inputs or messages to the brain, which is known to have plasticity, causes the brain to change. These are not emotional responses to fragile egos. This is real science showing the pain and symptoms of complex regional pain syndrome can be managed and possibly resolved using simple, inexpensive, practical methods. This is treating the source and not just bandaiding the symptoms. This is very good news for sufferers.
crps/rsd related articles
- Nursing Patients with CRPS/RSD
- Vitamin c and CRPS 2010
- Cleveland Clinic link - twin research
- Complex Regionaal Pain Syndrome and identical twins.
- Familial occurance of CRPS.
- Headache a risk factor for CRPS.
- Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and CRPS
- Brain change in chronic CRPS -Neuron
- Vitamin c as preventative for CRPS - Netherlands study 2007
- Vitamin C and CRPS study ARC Bristol
- BestBETs Best Evidence Topics - Hydrotherapy for Comples Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) of the foot and ankle
- Neurotopian - Matthias Weinberger's fantastic blog.
- hope-4crpsrsd - a Christian support group
- podcast - Australian Native Fruits bear sweet antioxidants.
- Explain Pain - David Butler's blog
- CRPS/RSD and Dentistry
- HTCwP - brain control of movement is altered in CRPS - study
- HTCwP - Self Compassion or Self Esteem
- Neuromatrix Training Blog
- Neurodynamics - Physical and Neural Health Blog
- Explain Pain Blog
- JB & JS report - Can Vitamin C Prevent Complex Regional Pain Syndrome in Patients with Wrist Fractures?
- Matthais Weinberger's interview on "how to Cope with Pain" website.
- How to Cope with Pain - Ketamine Coma treatment for CRPS/RSD
- RSDHope - DVD set of three
- North Western University Feinburg School of Medicine "Old Memory Traces May trigger chronic pain."
- HOw to Cope with pain How Pain Affects Families -Tony's story.
- Prevention.com article -"Natural-Born Pain Killers"
- Brain control altered in movement with CRPS -How to Cope With Pain
- How to Cope With Pain - Asking for help.
- Hooshmand and Physical Therapy Part I
- Hooshmand and Physical Therapy Part II
- How to Cope with Pain on Recognize - Here's a way to get ready to move - with less pain.
- American Pain Foundation Booklet: Treatment Options - A Guide for People Living in Pain
- Preventing CRPS after surgery - International Research Foundation for RSD/CRPS
- How to Cope with Pain - great questions about Graded motor movements
- How to Cope with Pain - Recognize podcast
- How to Cope with Pain - Graded motor imagary
- How to Cope with Pain - Think & move & your pain will improve.
- How to Cope with Pain - CRPS - Can mirrors help?
- RSD Canada Online Survey Questionnaire
- For Grace web site
- For Grace Utube site
- How to Cope With Pain - Can mirrors help?
- Noi Group Australia
- Support groups help you cope with pain - HTCWP interview by National Pain Foundation
- How to Cope with Pain Mindfulness video from Utube.
- "How to Cope with Pain's" hilarious video.
- Jason's RSDS/CRPS News & Information blog
- BBC UK News - Vitamin C /crps study - "Mystery pain left me in a wheelchair"
- Dr Moseley's interview on How to Cope with Pain site.
- Virtual Reality as a Rehabilitative Technology for Phantom Limb Experience.
- UK mirror box therapy site.
- Ramachandran's mirror box video
- My interview on "How to Cope with Pain" website.
- Napp Pharmaceuticals donate mirror boxes - WebWire article
- How to Cope with Pain: A guide to coping with pain.
- Hooshmand and Physical Therapy Part II
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D