Friday, June 15, 2007

Red & yellow & pink green & purple & orange & blue foods.

I've thought a lot about this and come to the conclusion that to consume a diet rich in antioxidants for me it's best to think about colour and variety.


If, for example, I'm making a snack box of dried fruits, nuts and seeds, I'll put about the same quantity of as many varieties as I have to hand. Then from the container I take a mix of any amount I want when I want it. That way I know I'm eating a good range of antioxidants in the unique packages nature intended.

In the same way I roughly cut a selection of fruits trying to have a mix of colours. When I shop I now choose a selection of different fruits rather than a bag of oranges or a big bunch of grapes.

Why colours?

Reds contain lycopene and anthocyanims.
- red apples, strawberries, bets, red potatoes, tomatoes.

Yellow/orange contain varying amounts of antioxidants eg vitamin C, carotinoids, bioflavonoids.
- appricots, mangoes, oranges, sweet potatoes & carrots.

Blue/purple contain phytochemicals.
- blueberries, eggplant, dark grapes, plums & rasins.

Greens contain antioxidants lutein & indoles.
- avocadoes, green apples, green grapes, kiwifruit, peas & broccoli.

I've found that I have to chew both the fresh mix and dried fruit and nuts well. I now take my time to eat and take pleasure from the eating.

No comments:

Custom Search
Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.
http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D