In February 2005 the Australian ABC show, Catalyst had a program "Red leaves".
It talked about the property of red plants that makes them much better to withstand harsh, stressful environments than the green plants.
They noted that stresses such as drought, high temperatures, low temperatures, ultra violet radiation all produce free radicals. Anthocyanin causes red in plums and apples and the purples in blueberries and it's anthocyanins that cause the red colour in red wine. This is a powerful antioxidant that demolishes the stress causing free radicals.
Researchers discovered that kumara, a red varity of sweet potato, the staple in the traditional Maori diet, probably was what previously had protected Maori people from bowel cancer. It's high in anthocyanins.
John Pickrell, COSMOS on line, wrote an excellent article, Bush foods rich in antioxidants He talks about a study that was published in the journal, Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies in Australia, identifying native Australian fruits that are exceptional sources of antioxidants. Twelve fruits were mentioned with some being known to contain up to 6 times the antioxidant capability of the blueberries. Super foods indeed and here in our own country.
Just like the Maori population, our Aboriginal population often follows a western diet. If Australia can encourage production, particularly by the Indigenous communities, of these nutrient dense and very high antioxidant foods, we will all benefit, but in particular we may see health benefits for our indigenous Australians. Hopefully we will hear more on this in the near future.
How does this relate to pain?
Pain causes stress and this results in an overproduction of free radicals. It is already known that vitamin C can prevent thee development of CRPS after wrist surgery. (click on the "prevention" tag below). It is also being trialled as treatment for CRPS.
It is my plan to "eat smart" by including high antioxidant foods and high nutrient foods in my diet.
It is my opinion that no mater where you live, if you look at the traditional foods of your area you may find your own super foods.
For the link to the COSMOS article go to "articles of interest" to the left of this page.
Listen to the Podcast - Australian Native Fruits bear sweet antioxidants by clicking on the link under "articles of interest" to the left of this blog.
crps/rsd related articles
- Nursing Patients with CRPS/RSD
- Vitamin c and CRPS 2010
- Cleveland Clinic link - twin research
- Complex Regionaal Pain Syndrome and identical twins.
- Familial occurance of CRPS.
- Headache a risk factor for CRPS.
- Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and CRPS
- Brain change in chronic CRPS -Neuron
- Vitamin c as preventative for CRPS - Netherlands study 2007
- Vitamin C and CRPS study ARC Bristol
- BestBETs Best Evidence Topics - Hydrotherapy for Comples Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) of the foot and ankle
- Neurotopian - Matthias Weinberger's fantastic blog.
- hope-4crpsrsd - a Christian support group
- podcast - Australian Native Fruits bear sweet antioxidants.
- Explain Pain - David Butler's blog
- CRPS/RSD and Dentistry
- HTCwP - brain control of movement is altered in CRPS - study
- HTCwP - Self Compassion or Self Esteem
- Neuromatrix Training Blog
- Neurodynamics - Physical and Neural Health Blog
- Explain Pain Blog
- JB & JS report - Can Vitamin C Prevent Complex Regional Pain Syndrome in Patients with Wrist Fractures?
- Matthais Weinberger's interview on "how to Cope with Pain" website.
- How to Cope with Pain - Ketamine Coma treatment for CRPS/RSD
- RSDHope - DVD set of three
- North Western University Feinburg School of Medicine "Old Memory Traces May trigger chronic pain."
- HOw to Cope with pain How Pain Affects Families -Tony's story.
- Prevention.com article -"Natural-Born Pain Killers"
- Brain control altered in movement with CRPS -How to Cope With Pain
- How to Cope With Pain - Asking for help.
- Hooshmand and Physical Therapy Part I
- Hooshmand and Physical Therapy Part II
- How to Cope with Pain on Recognize - Here's a way to get ready to move - with less pain.
- American Pain Foundation Booklet: Treatment Options - A Guide for People Living in Pain
- Preventing CRPS after surgery - International Research Foundation for RSD/CRPS
- How to Cope with Pain - great questions about Graded motor movements
- How to Cope with Pain - Recognize podcast
- How to Cope with Pain - Graded motor imagary
- How to Cope with Pain - Think & move & your pain will improve.
- How to Cope with Pain - CRPS - Can mirrors help?
- RSD Canada Online Survey Questionnaire
- For Grace web site
- For Grace Utube site
- How to Cope With Pain - Can mirrors help?
- Noi Group Australia
- Support groups help you cope with pain - HTCWP interview by National Pain Foundation
- How to Cope with Pain Mindfulness video from Utube.
- "How to Cope with Pain's" hilarious video.
- Jason's RSDS/CRPS News & Information blog
- BBC UK News - Vitamin C /crps study - "Mystery pain left me in a wheelchair"
- Dr Moseley's interview on How to Cope with Pain site.
- Virtual Reality as a Rehabilitative Technology for Phantom Limb Experience.
- UK mirror box therapy site.
- Ramachandran's mirror box video
- My interview on "How to Cope with Pain" website.
- Napp Pharmaceuticals donate mirror boxes - WebWire article
- How to Cope with Pain: A guide to coping with pain.
- Hooshmand and Physical Therapy Part II
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D