Sunday, November 04, 2007

A combination of things helps to reinforce the "it's ok" message and retrains the brain with chronic pain.

Learning about the new science of Pain and understanding the importance of retraining the brain with the "it's ok" message has made the difference for me. I now feel in control of things and know there are things I can do to help myself.

I also believe that that it is a combination of things, each supporting the retraining the brain idea which is helping me. Mirror therapy retrains the brain by viewing a virtual whole and pain free body. Controlled breathing, (out twice as long as in) by activating the parasympathetic nervous system and bringing about calm, retrains the brain with the “it’s ok” message. Immersion in water does the same, as does meditation, self hypnosis, acupuncture etc. Aromatherapy gives a new experience, especially valuable when doing physical therapy as smell is the most powerful of all the senses in bringing back memories. Eating smart allows the body to deal with free radical etc etc. So you see it is really a case of one thing supporting another to bring about change.

Below is my updated list of what helps me to relieve pain and symptoms of CRPS/RSD.

No comments:

Custom Search
Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.
http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D