For me each time I make a conscious decision about something I give myself control.
I did not make a conscious decision not to take pain medication. I had no choice. Now I'm grateful that it happened that way as I do not have the side effects of meds. That's a blessing.
It took me a long time to feel there was something I could make a conscious decision about, but now
- I choose to exercise.
- I choose to use a heat pack or chilli cream.
- I choose to soak in an epson salts bath.
- I choose to do guided imagery (Recognize)
- I choose to do mirror therapy.
- I choose to control my breathing to activate the parasympathetic nervous system.
- I choose to eat smart.
I've made many more conscious decisions and with each conscious decision I become empowered. I know why I make the choices I do and I believe they will help me cope better with the pain and symptoms of crps.