Sunday, December 23, 2007

Season's Greetings

For How to Cope with Pain's December blog Carnival http://www.howtocopewithpain.org/
I thought I'd share this photo of Doc by our Christmas tree . If you look carefully at the tree you'll see the decoration Doc has decided to add, a broken tennis ball. Last year he watched us put each decoration on the tree and then ran out to find his own decoration and threw it on the tree. Co-incidence - maybe. Endearing - definitely.

Those of you who have followed my blog know that this year has been a journey from the pits to wellness for me. Along the way I've been helped my many of the people who spend their lives helping others find pain relief through practice and research. Finally this Christmas I'm in much less pain and well able to enjoy the company of friends and family, the first time in many years. The things that have helped me most are
  • realizing that I needed to stop looking for what could be done for me but work out what I could do for myself.
  • understanding that physical therapy is essential to recovery
  • understanding of the part the brain plays in pain and working out ways to retrain the brain
  • learning about mirror therapy and the things that support it, like controlled breathing, self hypnosis and acupuncture
  • altering my diet a bit so that I "eat smart" and so deal with harmful free radicals
  • choosing to put a positive spin on whatever happens in life.
If this blog has helped even one of you I am happy. I haven't reached the end of this journey yet but I believe I can see the end of the road. I sincerely hope that those of you who have pain find relief soon. Be comforted by the fact that science offers hope.

Be safe, in less pain and happy this Christmas.

5 comments:

Usiku (oo-SEE-koo) said...

I am also learning the similar lesson that a lot of what has held me back or slowed me down was related to waiting for someone else to do something for me. This is a daily awareness I must maintain. I must figure out another way.

Yes! Diet and exercise are at the heart of everything. We have to provide our bodies with the best care to allow it to perform the best for us. I tend to always link my mental and spiritual diet and excercise to the same level of importance.

It does help to find a positive aspect to things. I am also focusing more on the things I can control. I feel I can do this without deluding myself that an unpleasant reality exists.

The things I can control sometimes give me control over the things I can't or at least neutralizes their impact or helps me move away from their influence altogether.

Though I only know a smidgen, I feel your improvement comes from your desire to help others improve. You continue despite disappointments great and small.

Thanks for the vote on Reddit.com.

jeisea said...

You're most welcome for the vote. You are right "things I can control sometimes give me control over the things I can't". It seems to be the way with mirror therapy too. Each time I do it and treat an area, I have better control of the other areas of pain. I think that keeping to this plan in times can make a big change overall.
Merry Christmas Usiku and thank you for your wonderful book Elouquence.

How to Cope with Pain said...

And thank you, Jeisea, for always sharing what you're learning to help others. Happy Holidays!

Rainbow422@aol.com said...

Hi Miss J!

Thanks for your blog! You wrote that if it helped just one, well maybe I am the one. Your friendship and your Blog got me through some pretty thick times with my RSD. Thanks so much for everything, I cannot say that enough.

Wishing you and your family, a very Merry Christmas and a very wonderful New Year!

Gentle Hugs

Rain

jeisea said...

Thank you Rain. You & I made a great team with our old group. Have a very happy Christmas and a wonderful New Year.

Hugs for you and your family

jeisea

Custom Search
Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.
http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D