Sunday, March 09, 2008

Good reasons to get wet!

My physiotherapist explained that the pressure of water helps to bring about a balance between the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems. This has a really calming affect. Water also makes movement easier, very helpful for sufferers of complex regional pain syndrome.She said water's best for this condition at 33degrees.

When it's still too cool to swim soak in an Epsom salts bath. While in the bath I breathe out twice as long as in which activates the parasympathetic nervous system adding to the benefit from water pressure and warmth for circulation.
When I have warm soaking bath I calm the irritation of dry skin by adding a little oil. I put about a cup of epson salts and some liquid soap, usually Radox or liquid soap bubble bath in while the water's running. Straight after the bath I gently rub chili (capsaicin) cream into any area of burning pain. This works well for me.

If you google "epson salts crps" you'll find heaps of reasons magnesium helps. I know a warm epson salts bath makes me feel more relaxed and in less pain. If it does the other things, it's a big plus.

Water
  • relaxes
  • calms the nervous system by balancing the symapthetic/parasympathetic
  • slows breathing unless exercising
  • decreases pain by raising endorphins
  • improves circulation and skin colour
  • releases muscle spasm and cramp
  • helps us breathe deeper
  • decreases feelings of anxiety
  • helps with sleep
  • increases self satisfaction and sense of well being
Good reasons to get wet!

No comments:

Custom Search
Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.
http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D