When it's still too cool to swim soak in an Epsom salts bath. While in the bath I breathe out twice as long as in which activates the parasympathetic nervous system adding to the benefit from water pressure and warmth for circulation. When I have warm soaking bath I calm the irritation of dry skin by adding a little oil. I put about a cup of epson salts and some liquid soap, usually Radox or liquid soap bubble bath in while the water's running. Straight after the bath I gently rub chili (capsaicin) cream into any area of burning pain. This works well for me.
If you google "epson salts crps" you'll find heaps of reasons magnesium helps. I know a warm epson salts bath makes me feel more relaxed and in less pain. If it does the other things, it's a big plus.
- calms the nervous system by balancing the symapthetic/parasympathetic
- slows breathing unless exercising
- decreases pain by raising endorphins
- improves circulation and skin colour
- releases muscle spasm and cramp
- helps us breathe deeper
- decreases feelings of anxiety
- helps with sleep
- increases self satisfaction and sense of well being