I've chosen this post as my contribution to How to Cope with Pain March Blog Carnival. Check pout the other posts in the carnival at
TED Talks published this remarkable story of Jill Bolte Taylor, brain researcher, who had the presence of mind to observe her own responses during a stroke.
Fascinating. I can identify with some aspects. From time to time I experience this euphoric state, in the past immediately after a severe migraine, during out of body experiences and once with self hypnosis used to deal with pain. I can remember as a child on two occasions looking down on myself, once when ill and again when I fell from a boat. I watched myself swirl over and over in the dirty water curled up in, as you describe, an embryo shape. I remember it as a euphoric experience. I was about 5 and was over 50 years ago. I was interested in your description of your changed body perception and loss of proprioception. To a much lesser extent I now at times experience this and then have to retrain myself as to where hands, back etc are, re learn. I have Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (RSD) which "spreads" by smudging the brain's neurotag. The new brain science and understanding of the part the brain plays in pain management is remarkable. I now treat pain with mirrors. I've also realized that brain retraining can be done using various modalities and methods. Just now I 'm receiving Yamamoto New Scalp Acupuncture with quite remarkable results. As to taping into the right side of the brain in a deliberately to improve life or quality of life and/or perceptions, I think this may be what various practices may do. By this I mean the "balancing" in acupuncture, yoga, meditation, neuro linguistic programing, hypnosis etc.
There is much food for thought here. This video lends more weight to the importance of understanding the part the both sides of the brain play in our perceptions and opens us to possibilities.
crps/rsd related articles
- Nursing Patients with CRPS/RSD
- Vitamin c and CRPS 2010
- Cleveland Clinic link - twin research
- Complex Regionaal Pain Syndrome and identical twins.
- Familial occurance of CRPS.
- Headache a risk factor for CRPS.
- Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and CRPS
- Brain change in chronic CRPS -Neuron
- Vitamin c as preventative for CRPS - Netherlands study 2007
- Vitamin C and CRPS study ARC Bristol
- BestBETs Best Evidence Topics - Hydrotherapy for Comples Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) of the foot and ankle
- Neurotopian - Matthias Weinberger's fantastic blog.
- hope-4crpsrsd - a Christian support group
- podcast - Australian Native Fruits bear sweet antioxidants.
- Explain Pain - David Butler's blog
- CRPS/RSD and Dentistry
- HTCwP - brain control of movement is altered in CRPS - study
- HTCwP - Self Compassion or Self Esteem
- Neuromatrix Training Blog
- Neurodynamics - Physical and Neural Health Blog
- Explain Pain Blog
- JB & JS report - Can Vitamin C Prevent Complex Regional Pain Syndrome in Patients with Wrist Fractures?
- Matthais Weinberger's interview on "how to Cope with Pain" website.
- How to Cope with Pain - Ketamine Coma treatment for CRPS/RSD
- RSDHope - DVD set of three
- North Western University Feinburg School of Medicine "Old Memory Traces May trigger chronic pain."
- HOw to Cope with pain How Pain Affects Families -Tony's story.
- Prevention.com article -"Natural-Born Pain Killers"
- Brain control altered in movement with CRPS -How to Cope With Pain
- How to Cope With Pain - Asking for help.
- Hooshmand and Physical Therapy Part I
- Hooshmand and Physical Therapy Part II
- How to Cope with Pain on Recognize - Here's a way to get ready to move - with less pain.
- American Pain Foundation Booklet: Treatment Options - A Guide for People Living in Pain
- Preventing CRPS after surgery - International Research Foundation for RSD/CRPS
- How to Cope with Pain - great questions about Graded motor movements
- How to Cope with Pain - Recognize podcast
- How to Cope with Pain - Graded motor imagary
- How to Cope with Pain - Think & move & your pain will improve.
- How to Cope with Pain - CRPS - Can mirrors help?
- RSD Canada Online Survey Questionnaire
- For Grace web site
- For Grace Utube site
- How to Cope With Pain - Can mirrors help?
- Noi Group Australia
- Support groups help you cope with pain - HTCWP interview by National Pain Foundation
- How to Cope with Pain Mindfulness video from Utube.
- "How to Cope with Pain's" hilarious video.
- Jason's RSDS/CRPS News & Information blog
- BBC UK News - Vitamin C /crps study - "Mystery pain left me in a wheelchair"
- Dr Moseley's interview on How to Cope with Pain site.
- Virtual Reality as a Rehabilitative Technology for Phantom Limb Experience.
- UK mirror box therapy site.
- Ramachandran's mirror box video
- My interview on "How to Cope with Pain" website.
- Napp Pharmaceuticals donate mirror boxes - WebWire article
- How to Cope with Pain: A guide to coping with pain.
- Hooshmand and Physical Therapy Part II
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D