Saturday, May 24, 2008

Mindfulness meditation reduces pain.

This is my post for HTCwP's May Blog Carnival.

How to Cope with Pain is now offering a monthly Pain-Blog Carnival during the last week of every month, to include each month's best posts. New bloggers are always welcome to contribute.

http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=33458048&postID=8942285150841413464

Dr Lorimer Moseley, in his "How to Cope with pain" website interview, mentioned that mindfulness meditation is being used for pain management. In 2000, at a three week pain clinic, I learned mindfulness meditation. At the time I was of the opinion that when my distractions were taken away, nauseating pain was worse. If I'd know then what I know now I would have persisted and would have benefited. In particular it would have been good to know that there was already sound research which supported the use of mindfulness for pain.

This is one type of meditation, important because you develop an acceptance and an awareness of what is happening in the present. The "How to Cope with Pain" website (link to the left of this page under crps/rsd related articles), has short breathing exercises and guided imagery sessions. These are great and also help with pain management.

2 comments:

Barbara K. said...

I found that the only kind of meditation that helped with my pain was walking meditation (walking very slowly while concentrating on each tiny movement and breath). Sitting meditation actually made me more aware of the pain. I needed something a bit more active.

jeisea said...

Barbara that sounds perfect. As I understand it mindfulness is being in the moment. You can wash dishes mindfully as against having your mind on the next ten things to be done. I find like you that taking away distractions seems to increase my perception of pain. My Intergrative Medicine GP says you need to fully focus on one thing such as breath to the exclusion of all else. This is the hard part, taming the racing mind. You don't need to be still to meditate I think.

Custom Search
Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.
http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D