Monday, June 30, 2008

Writing is more than a distraction from pain.

Rosemary Fish, a Phd student at the National University of Ireland is writing her thesis "Acceptance, expressive writing and chronic pain". Much has been written about the therapeutic benefits of expressive writing for those who have experienced trauma. I believe the benefits for chronic pain sufferers go beyond mere distraction. Writing is wholly absorbing. In a way it's like meditation in that it requires full concentration. More than this though I believe writing also helps us clarify our thinking, is an outlet for our emotions and can help us to accept our situation. (Acceptance does not imply complacency.)

One writer I've posted about many times is Usiku of http://www.usiku.net/. Usiku was a member of my now closed RSD support group. He encouraged us and was inspired in his writing by learning how we dealt with pain.

I'd like to introduce you to another young writer, Christopher Currie who has a new blog http://www.furioushorses.com/. Chris uses this blog to encourage
Chris is a young man and a published author. He bagan his blog as a way of reinvigorating his writing, encouraging him to write each day. You'll find Chris is a gifted writer with a quirky style. I encourage you to visit his site. It may inspire you with ideas.

I encourage you all to write. It doesn't matter whether you spell correctly. What matters is you write. As a teacher I encouraged my students to do five minutes silent writing each day. At first they wrote things like, "she's making us do silent writing. This is stupid. Why do I have to sit here writing?" They did just what I wanted them to do. They wrote what they were thinking. They wrote from their hearts. I didn't insist that they share their work but in time all of them did share some of it. The process of writing is healing. As I mentioned before it helps to put things in perspective. Of course these are just my thoughts.

7 comments:

Christopher Currie said...

Thanks for the link!

jeisea said...

I enjoy your blog. By the way I fixed the spelling of your name. Sorry about that.

jeisea said...

I enjoy your blog. By the way I fixed the spelling of your name. Sorry about that.

Barbara K. said...

When my pain was at its worst, the only two times I was pain-free were when I could finally fall asleep, and when I was journaling.

Christina said...

I would like to ask you this question, simply as a matter of curiosity, I am in no way denigrating your approach. I wonder whether spending as much time as you obviously do on researching your illness, its various treatments and therapies, and associated activities, increases your 'awareness level'. I try to ignore the whole thing, and get on with my life (with the invaluable help of my morphine pump). I really would like to have your response to this.

Thank you.
Chris

jeisea said...

Hi Christina
Thanks for your question. You have an important point. As you may have noticed I haven't been on the internet for a while. Someone dear needed support. Home now, I will take the time to reply to your question in a day or so. I hope you don't mind the delay.
jeisea

jeisea said...

Hi Barbara
You are so right. Journaling is absorbing. I believe it falls in with other wholly consuming, creative persuits and has benefits beyond mere distraction. I hope to post soon more on this.
jeisea

Custom Search
Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.
http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D