Thursday, November 20, 2008

Controlled breathing can reduce Blood Pressure. Is this just the beginning?

The Israeli company InterCure makes the RESPeRATE device that we can use at home to control high blood pressure. Health Central has an excellent article about three research trials that support the use of this device as a natural, non drug way of reducing blood pressure. The device takes you through a 15 minute cycle of breathing using music to control your in and out breath. It's a brilliant idea.

I use a similar style of breathing and have proven at home that my blood pressure will drop after just 15 minutes. I believe the research says that if you do this 3 times a week you can bring about an overall reduction in blood pressure.

I suspect that this device and this style of breathing has more to offer thasn just stabilizing blood pressure. To reduce blood pressure I believe you are activating the parasympathetic nervous system. In CRPS/RSD our sympathetic nervous systems are ramped up (just like PTSD). It makes sense to me that if 15mins on this machine can reduce blood pressure, it should also reduce pain by calming the sympathetic nervous system. I suspect this is a way of brain retraining. Whatever it is, it's very effective.

Click on the post title for the link to the article in Health Central.

No comments:

Custom Search
Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.
http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D