Wednesday, December 31, 2008

“Only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only as much as I dream can I be."

I've sent this post to be part of How to Cope with Pain's last blog carnival for 2008. However with so much happening I left it too late to be included. However I encourage you to click on this blog title for the link and see what others have to offer.

This Karen Raven quote holds true for people with chronic pain.

Life, as they say, is not a rehearsal. We get one go at it. The choices we make direct out path in life. I choose happiness.


Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body's natural pain killers, and produces a general sense of well-being. The threshold of pain is raised during and for a short period of time after laughter.

Laughter also engages various parts of the brain. Perhaps this is one reason people often find that a good dose of laughter can be followed by a burst of creativity.

We know that by making positive affirmations pain perception can be reduced by up to an amazing two thirds.
(Conversely, you can actually increase pain perception by focusing on negative aspects and fearing your pain.)

These findings make perfect sense to me. I know when I talk about how I'm feeling, I feel worse. When I'm having fun I feel better. Now I know I can actually change the inputs which bring about a change in the brain, I'll be more aware of how I think and feel. I'll also be dedicating more time to "actively seeking happiness" and strive to see "the glass half full."

I encourage you to expand your knowledge, reach to grow. Only by seeking information can you go forward. By looking the way will become clear. I encourage you to dare to dream of a better life. "As much as I dream can I be".

Go to "crps/rsd related articles" to the left of this blog and click on the direct link to the article, "Natural Born Pain killers" in Prevention.com. that explains the research behind this thinking.

2 comments:

Usiku (oo-SEE-koo) said...

I agree, humor and laughter are good for every part of us. As an extension of thought to "Only by seeking information can you go forward," I believe that only by seeking understanding can you transcend.

I like the thought of "seeking' information and further believe the information/education "pushed" on us is only a smidgen of what we should learn, therefore we must seek it if we are to obtain it.

jeisea said...

Thank you Usiku. You are exactly right.

Custom Search
Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.
http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D