Sunday, January 11, 2009

Preventing complications of Complex regional pain syndrome after arthroscopy surgery.

As mentioned in my last post, I had a knee arthroscopy on Friday. I ruptured my anterior cruciate ligament, tore both menisci and had floating cartelage. I did this 8 months ago and have tried conservative treatment to regain movement and strength. However my leg wouldn't straighten so I couldn't walk properly and was unstable. Arthroscopic surgery is high risk for developing or spreading CRPS so the decision to do something wasn't taken lightly. Basically I couldn't walk properly and was at risk of CRPS developing so there was a risk either way.

I had a long phone conversation with my anaesthetist before surgery so he was aware of my Blood Pressure issues as well.

My anaesthetist couldn't use the same protocols because some of the things suggested have the side effect of dropping blood pressure. However he did use local anaesthesia first as well as anti inflammatories as suggested. I've been taking 1000mg of vitamin C as suggested since the accident and will continue to do so for another 50 days.

The good news is that I can now straighten my leg and there is no sign of CRPS symptoms at present.

I encourage anyone with CRPS having surgery to inform their doctors that there are things you can do to prevent complications. You'll find links to research about this to the left of this blog. Under "tags" click on "prevention" to see a series of posts about this.

2 comments:

Dr.Rutledge said...

Hi Jeisea,

I'm an academic physician (formerly at Harvard and Stanford) who found your blog while looking for the best health writers. I think your writing is great! I would like to feature you in the Chronic Pain Community on Wellsphere, a top 10 health website that has well over 2 million visitors monthly.

If you would like to learn more, just drop me an email to Dr.Rutledge@wellsphere.com

jeisea said...

Thank you Dr Rutledge. I will contact you shortly. I haven't visited your Wellsphere site before. It's comprehensive but easy to navigate - a wealth of information. I'll add it to my recommended sites and write about it in the near future.

Custom Search
Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.
http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D