Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Medical News Today - pain news and research

If you scroll down and look to the left of this blog, you'll find Medical News Today headlines. This blog subscribes to to pain related news. It's worth checking out the news from time to time.

An item "Pain relieving effects of acupuncture are limited" caught my attention. I can only speak for myself but I have to say that my experience contradicts the findings of this study.

I was skeptical about acupuncture at first. However I'd had elbow tendinitis for months and weakness in my right hand with inability to grasp and hold objects. Inflammation is part of CRPS and this tendinitis flare up involved the whole limb including the usual CRPS symptoms of hypersensitivity, temperature, colour and persperation changes. In desperation I looked to the internet for treatment options and found double blind research about acupuncture for "tennis elbow". The published research actually mentioned the points used and the method so I to this to my GP who also used laser (not needle) acupuncture. She followed the points as described and after three treatments the pain had gone and I was able to use my hand as before.

Now this was no faith healing as I really didn't expect it to work.

Another significant experience was when I told my current GP that I'd had a migraine for over three weeks. He insisted on doing Yamamoto New Scalp Acupuncture, a type of acupuncture developed by a Neurologist to treat Parkinson's disease and stroke and now used for neuropathic problems. I was really unsure and argued against the use of needles but my doctor assured me. He inserted three special very fine needles. Immediately I felt a sense of relaxation and after 30minutes the pain had completely gone and did not return. I was amazed.

Early last year I again had elbow, wrist pain and loss of function. I could not hold a coffe cup.

This same GP again used Yamamoto New Scalp Acupuncture. Within three weeks all pain had gone but that was not all. To my complete amazement all my cardiac symptoms had disappeared. I could walk up a hill with no shortness of breath, and a long flight of stairs. I had no crushing chest pain, paroxymal atrial fibrulation, and my blood pressure was absolutely text book normal. This was not only amazing, it was life changing. It lasted three weeks untill I had an accident in which I had sudden severe pain when I ruptured my cruciate ligament and tore both menisci and other knee damage. Immediately the cardiac symptoms returned.

The point I am trying to make here is that in my opinion more research is needed on the subject of acupuncture for pain. In my experience it definitely works.

Just to update you on my knee injury. I tried conservative treatment (physical therapy etc) but was unable to straighten my knee. On January 9, I had an arthroscopy folowing published protocols for prevent RS/CRPS after arthroscopic surgery. It was completely successful. I can now walk normally.

The next step in my plan is to again have Yamamoto New Scalp Acupuncture to try and calm the autonomic nervous system as it did before so that the cardiac symptoms are gone. I'll let you know how it goes. At present my GP is overseas so will see him about this when he returns.

No comments:

Custom Search
Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.
http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D