I talk a lot about the need to move normally and to retrain the brain with the "ok" message. An excellent way to do this is with Aqua Therapy. I've started aqua aerobics again recently after my arthroscopy. I do what I can safely and always feel calm and relaxed after being in water.
Tony Tobin who owns the UK Yahoo Group RSD/CRPS World News Group http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/RSD-WorldNews/
is a great advocate for Aqua Therapy. He attributes it as playing a major part in helping his grand daughter go into remission from CRPS. Tony was interviewed on How to Cope with Pain website. http://www.howtocopewithpain.org/blog/93/how-pain-affects-families-a-grandfathers-story/
I encourage you to read his interview and join his news group. Tony is dedicated to posting the latest in RSD/CRPS News and especially research.
International Research Foundation for RSD/CRPS has information on WATSU which is a combination of aqua therapy and gentle exercises. It also has a free video on "Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy in Children". This video does not mention the new brain science but does recognize as essential to have "normal use" of your body.
American RSDHope has a section explaining Aqua Therapy, and Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Association (RSDSA) has an section on it's website answering questions about Aqua Therapy. Parc Promoting Awareness has a section on there website also. You'll find the links for these under CRPS/RSD related links to the left of this page.
For those getting this as an email post, you'll need to go to my blog and scroll down on the left of the blog to find the links.
Unfortunately the only link I was able to find on research about Aqua Therapy specifically for the treatment of CRPS was this link to the Clinical Journal of Pain. It's about the Short and Long term outcomes of Children with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Type 1 Treated with Exercise Therapy http://www.clinicalpain.com/pt/re/clnjpain/abstract.00002508-199909000-00009.htm;jsessionid=HVsDfydTSPF4Dwfjc8ylQNp80zNy7tqB53D3gcp5JG3LT7f7vRX3!-830841920!181195629!8091!-1
crps/rsd related articles
- Nursing Patients with CRPS/RSD
- Vitamin c and CRPS 2010
- Cleveland Clinic link - twin research
- Complex Regionaal Pain Syndrome and identical twins.
- Familial occurance of CRPS.
- Headache a risk factor for CRPS.
- Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and CRPS
- Brain change in chronic CRPS -Neuron
- Vitamin c as preventative for CRPS - Netherlands study 2007
- Vitamin C and CRPS study ARC Bristol
- BestBETs Best Evidence Topics - Hydrotherapy for Comples Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) of the foot and ankle
- Neurotopian - Matthias Weinberger's fantastic blog.
- hope-4crpsrsd - a Christian support group
- podcast - Australian Native Fruits bear sweet antioxidants.
- Explain Pain - David Butler's blog
- CRPS/RSD and Dentistry
- HTCwP - brain control of movement is altered in CRPS - study
- HTCwP - Self Compassion or Self Esteem
- Neuromatrix Training Blog
- Neurodynamics - Physical and Neural Health Blog
- Explain Pain Blog
- JB & JS report - Can Vitamin C Prevent Complex Regional Pain Syndrome in Patients with Wrist Fractures?
- Matthais Weinberger's interview on "how to Cope with Pain" website.
- How to Cope with Pain - Ketamine Coma treatment for CRPS/RSD
- RSDHope - DVD set of three
- North Western University Feinburg School of Medicine "Old Memory Traces May trigger chronic pain."
- HOw to Cope with pain How Pain Affects Families -Tony's story.
- Prevention.com article -"Natural-Born Pain Killers"
- Brain control altered in movement with CRPS -How to Cope With Pain
- How to Cope With Pain - Asking for help.
- Hooshmand and Physical Therapy Part I
- Hooshmand and Physical Therapy Part II
- How to Cope with Pain on Recognize - Here's a way to get ready to move - with less pain.
- American Pain Foundation Booklet: Treatment Options - A Guide for People Living in Pain
- Preventing CRPS after surgery - International Research Foundation for RSD/CRPS
- How to Cope with Pain - great questions about Graded motor movements
- How to Cope with Pain - Recognize podcast
- How to Cope with Pain - Graded motor imagary
- How to Cope with Pain - Think & move & your pain will improve.
- How to Cope with Pain - CRPS - Can mirrors help?
- RSD Canada Online Survey Questionnaire
- For Grace web site
- For Grace Utube site
- How to Cope With Pain - Can mirrors help?
- Noi Group Australia
- Support groups help you cope with pain - HTCWP interview by National Pain Foundation
- How to Cope with Pain Mindfulness video from Utube.
- "How to Cope with Pain's" hilarious video.
- Jason's RSDS/CRPS News & Information blog
- BBC UK News - Vitamin C /crps study - "Mystery pain left me in a wheelchair"
- Dr Moseley's interview on How to Cope with Pain site.
- Virtual Reality as a Rehabilitative Technology for Phantom Limb Experience.
- UK mirror box therapy site.
- Ramachandran's mirror box video
- My interview on "How to Cope with Pain" website.
- Napp Pharmaceuticals donate mirror boxes - WebWire article
- How to Cope with Pain: A guide to coping with pain.
- Hooshmand and Physical Therapy Part II
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D