Thursday, September 24, 2009

The road to remission from CRPS/RSD.

As many of you will know I am now in remission from Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. Over several years I've used non drug ways to deal with pain and symptoms.

The most significant discovery for me was mirror visual imagery or mirror therapy. I used this to treat single sided pain and flair up of pain and symptoms. It really works. It not only eases and finally stops pain but it also stops other symptoms such as muscle spasm, improving temperature and sweating problems etc. I was able to regain strength and balance and able to do more physical therapy for longer periods. Mirror therapy paved the way for my recovery.

Other things helped calm the sympathetic nervous system. Please refer to my recently posted list, things such as mindfulness meditation and controlled breathing.

However I had whole body CRPS which involved general disturbance of the autonomic nervous system. So I was dealing on a daily basis with pain and the usual CRPS symptoms of temperature changes, hypersensitivity, muscle spasms etc, and I was also experiencing significant cardiac symptoms of atrial fibrillation, crushing chest pain with any exertion, very labile BP with occasional loss of consciousness. Although mirror therapy made a remarkable difference and provided me with the tools to help myself each time I had a major flair, I still had dysautonomia and pain and symptoms to some degree every day. In other words, even though it was a huge help it did not provide remission from CRPS/RSD.

In November 2007 I had my first ever treatment with Yamamoto New Scalp Acupuncture. I am in remission now and have been for three months due to treatment. My next post is a repost of my first experience with YNSA.

No comments:

Custom Search
Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.
http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D