Tuesday, February 23, 2010

More on antioxidants - mixing the colours.

Red  and yellow and pink and  green purple and orange and blue f
I can eat a rainbow too.oods.

I've thought a lot about this and come to the conclusion that to consume a diet rich in antioxidants for me it's best to think about colour and variety.


If, for example, I'm making a snack box of dried fruits, nuts and seeds, I'll put about the same quantity of as many varieties as I have to hand. Then from the container I take a mix of any amount I want when I want it. That way I know I'm eating a good range of antioxidants in the unique packages nature intended.

In the same way I roughly cut a selection of fruits trying to have a mix of colours. When I shop I now choose a selection of different fruits rather than a bag of oranges or a big bunch of grapes.

Why colours?


Reds contain lycopene and anthocyanims.
- red apples, strawberries, bets, red potatoes, tomatoes.

Yellow/orange contain varying amounts of antioxidants eg vitamin C, carotinoids, bioflavonoids.
- appricots, mangoes, oranges, sweet potatoes & carrots.

Blue/purple contain phytochemicals.
- blueberries, eggplant, dark grapes, plums & rasins.

Greens contain antioxidants lutein & indoles.
- avocadoes, green apples, green grapes, kiwifruit, peas & beans,broccoli.

 
I now take my time to eat and take pleasure from the eating.

1 comment:

Usiku (oo-SEE-koo) said...

Nature does provide the building blocks for better health. As you said, it takes setting ourselves up to succeed by taking our time shopping, having good choices available and slowing down eating to enjoy not only the taste but the feeling of consuming energy that makes us alive and a part of the cycle of living things.

Custom Search
Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.
http://www.blogdoctor.me/2009/01/random-rotating-post-gadget-with.html#ixzz0KYNw8qB2&D